Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Tis the Season to be Jolly, Bah Hum Bug

During this time of year, so many people begin to feel down and depressed including myself.

Why is this?

In observing myself and countless others, I find that most people are talking about their lack of time, energy, money and ideas. They are spending money they do not have buying things they don't want for people they do not know. People with families stress over having families and those without families stress due to the lack of one. The list is endless.

All of this thinking and talking of lack produces a mentality which creates angst, stress, frustration and fear. This is quite sad because the reason for celebrating Christmas is to welcome the Prince of Peace, the Lord of Lords. It is a time for us to open our hearts to the indwelling Spirit of Christ. The Prince of Peace came to shower us with hope, joy, peace and love.

What the world has created is a holiday which stimulates just the opposite.

When I allow life to get me down, I consciously begin focusing on all of my blessings and my life gets better. I do this daily by writing down at least 10 things for which I am grateful. I encourage my children to do this when they go to bed or when they are stressed because of school and other activities. This one exercise can change your life and the lives of many.

A life of gratitude is a joyful life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sis for helping keep me focused on the true meaning of the Holidays. You know? As a single parent I usually start feeling down when I start thinking that I am alone. That only becomes more apparent during the hoildays when couples are getting together to celebrate with parties...and yes, single parents are left out much of the time.

    You continually know what to say and at the right time...I know that I am NEVER alone. I am a "Giver" and Christmas is my most favorite holiday. I get to bake all of my cookies and implement my creative juices. After watching "P.S I Love You" (I cried through it's intirety) with you, I realized a lot about myself that I had been hiding for the past 7 years. I am blessed with a wonderful family, friends and a knack for creativity. You have encouraged me to exercise my known talents and gifts and to bring 'Janet' out of the closet.

    This year I get to host our family Christmas for the first time and I am having my first "Christmas Social" in 8 years. It is my way to say "Thank You! and give back to my family and friends for their support throughout the years.

    I usually try to find a common theme to inspire my creativity and my theme for this year is "Warmth".

    I want to Thank all of my family and friends for everything they have done for me and my family, your gifts have really 'Warmed' our hearts.

    When I am Grateful, the light of Spirit shines through me.

    ReplyDelete