Sunday, March 27, 2011

First Commandment

Thou shalt not put false gods before me.

I recently took a trip to a Hindu Temple in Houston and several of my friends thought it odd that "Hindu's had so many gods." In their minds, the Hindus were obviously breaking this first commandment. (Which they could because the commandments are not part of their theology.)

However, when you understand the teachings of Hinduism, you will understand that they believe that there is One God with an infinite number of manifestations. They believe that god is so big and undefinable and it is easier to connect with a human form. Therefore, they create statues in human forms and through consecration, the statues are imbued with the Spirit of God. Once consecrated, these statues are venerated and treated as god. The Hindus in the spirit of gratitude bring offerings of their finest harvest and beautiful flowers to the gods. They visit the gods several times a day keeping God the vocal point of their lives.

This practice is very similar to the Eucharist in the Catholic Church(the consecrated elements of bread and wine) and the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Many people go to daily mass and/or adoration to help them keep God as the primary focus of their lives.

Is this putting false gods before God? I think not.

I think anything we use to stay present in the now moment with God as our focus keeps the first commandment.

Years ago, I felt going to church on Sundays and giving God one hour of my week was a sacrificial event. I had more important things to do with my time like worrying about the future or rehashing the past. That was my focus.

When I chose to live in the future or live in the past, I am putting the false gods of fear and resentment before the ever present loving God. And I must say, my life is a living Hell when I do this.

However, now I attempt to practice daily prayer and meditation and I have come to understand that God is all there is. Therefore, God is a huge presence in my life, not because God has changed, but because my perspective and practice has changed. Currently my life seems to be more balanced and joyful. When I stray from this knowing and this practice, my life falls apart.

The daily discipline of the Hindu people paying homage to their diverse deities allows them to consciously keep God-Centered. Going to daily mass and/or daily prayer and meditation are other ways of staying God-Centered.

What do you do to stay God-Centered?

Think about it.

Love ya, Becky

1 comment:

  1. A walk among the pine trees always helps me be God-centered as well as being in the garden. This year I will be planting flowers too. I wonder what that will feel like!!

    ReplyDelete