Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Being Forgotten

In reading Have a little faith by Mitch Albom, Mitch asks his dying rabbi what most people fear most about death. The rabbi answers, "Well, for one thing, what happens next?" He goes on to say that the biggest fear is, "being forgotten."

The rabbi refers to this as the second death. "The unvisited nursing homes. The homeless found frozen in alleys. Who mourned their passing? Who marked their time on earth?" (pg. 127).

This little conversation got my attention, especially at this time in my life, as I visit my dad in a memory-care facility. I notice all of the elderly whom have been forgotten and remember the lady who recently went out to watch the night sky and to rock only to freeze to death. I watch my dad struggle with acceptance that he is old just like the people around him. It is difficult to watch and to absorb that the man who was my rock is withering.

In reading this little story, I am awakened to the preciousness of time and how fast it flies past. I realize the importance of inter-personal relationships which is what my dad tells me daily. Becky, "Life has meaning, and its lasting meaning is in interpersonal relationships. Nothing else matters." What a powerful message to heed.

We spend and waste so much time chasing things, positions, accolades, and playing with gadgets that we forget to nurture and foster relationships. As we age, it sometimes becomes too late and we end our lives alone.

Take time for dinner with friends and family, go to the park with your kids, grand kids, nieces or nephews, adopt an elder or a child who has no one, do something to reach out your hand to another human being. Make creating and building relationships you lifes work. In so doing, you and they will be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment