Monday, April 5, 2010

Wisdom from a Rabbi

When a baby comes into the world, its hands are clenched, like a fist.
Why? Because a baby, not knowing any better, wants to grab everything, to say, "The whole world is mine."
"But when an old person dies, how does he do so? With his hands open. Why? Because he has learned the lesson, we can take nothing with us."
(Have A little Faith, Mitch Albom, pg. 101).


This has been my truth. I find the older I get the less I want as far as material things. The more stuff I have and am responsible for the less freedom I have to do the things I enjoy. Being content with who I am and what I have has been the key to my ultimate happiness.

This is a common message in faith traditions. In Buddhism, we find, "Contentment is the greatest wealth" (Dham 204). Hinduism states, "contentment is the root of happiness, and discontent the root of misery (Manu 4:12).

For me, focusing on the blessings in my life with a grateful heart brings about a sense of AWE and contentment. Happiness for me is being satisfied with what I have.

I encourage you to look around and become aware of the blessed abundance in your life. If you live in America, even if you are living in the slums, you are living better than 80% of the people on the planet.
Be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment