Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Serenity

God Grant me the Serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
This prayer sat on our bathroom vanity for years. I read it probably 2 or 3 times per day. It never made sense to me, because I did not comprehend the word serenity.
Through a series of events, and a lot of surrender, I finally experienced serenity-inner peace. Once experienced, serenity became my preferred state of mind and the rest of the prayer made sense to me.
I came to know that there are lots of things in my life that I cannot change: people, places, weather and things. However, there are some big things that I can change: myself, my perception, my decision, and my attitude.
Figuring out these two things opened the door to wisdom in my life. I still forget that there are things I cannot change, and sometimes I don't have the courage to change the things I can. But when I do, my life is serene and I feel happiness and joy.
© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment