Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wisdom of faith traditions

Even though, I have never met biblical scholar, Marcus Borg, I know we are kindred spirits. His words finally allow me to better define myself to those to whom I speak and write.

"I have lived with Jesus all of my life. . . In adulthood, I have become a non-exclusivist Christian. It seems clear that 'the sacred' has been known in all of the major religious traditions, and I do not think that Christianity is the only adequate religion, even though it is my 'home'" (Jesus &Buddha, 8).

This is what I have found to be true, as I study all major religions and meet people who practice the different faith traditions. The mainstays of the differing faiths are the same. For example, all faith traditions teach:
  • The Golden Rule, Treat others the way in which you would like to be treated.
  • Love your neighbor
  • And Blessed are the Peace makers.

Our life story, as we encounter the God of our understanding, becomes our personal sacred history. Our encounter differs from our neighbors, just as Buddha's differed from Jesus and Jesus from Mohammad. However, their sacred texts are all valuable to those whom embrace them and find meaning in them.

When I can honor and accept my neighbor's life journey as sacred, I find I can accept the faith journey's of my friends from different faiths.


© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment