Thursday, March 4, 2010

Who are you hanging out with?

"Walk with wise men and you will become wise, but the companion of fools will fare badly (Proverbs13:20).

This is so true. You can really tell a lot about a person by their friends.

I once had a spiritual director bring this message home to roost with me.

I was a member of a singles group which came together weekly to learn about how to have healthy relationships. We rotated group leaders. When it was my turn to lead, I asked my spiritual director, "what should I speak about?"

She gently stated, "Becky, that is crazy! You and all of your single friends are trying to learn about relationships from each other. You are all clueless in that area. If you want to learn about successful relationships, met with people who have them!" She then suggested, we talk about our relationship with God and get it in order, then we might be able to have a relationship with another person.

What a wise statement. From that moment, when I seek wisdom in different areas, I walk with wise people whom are experienced in that area. This has proven very beneficial for me. Prior to that I was guilty of walking with fools and I did not fair well.

When we open ourselves to learn from all wise men (and women) of the ages, we become wise.

© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment