Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Commitment to Love

Dr. David Gilbert, a Harvard Psychologist suggests, "Commitment is not just a sign of love, it is the cause of love. I find this quite true for me. I dated several different people in my life before I was married. I told them that "I loved them" but our relationships seemed unsettling. There was always an undercurrent of fear.

Fear they would find someone else; fear I would do something to anger them and they would leave; fear that by staying around without a commitment, I would miss the opportunity to meet the man of my dreams.

This fear was relieved when I married my husband. We had a commitment, we were in this for the long haul, through thick and thin. It was so much easier to be happy when I was not always looking over my shoulder or living in fear of rejection or abandonment.

We have so much fun, knowing we are committed to one another. We are able to make plans, make decisions for our future as one. Joining together in a committed relationship makes room for love to grow, and joy to manifest.

Of course, we have our disagreements or tiffs; but we work through them because we know it is worth it. The good has out weighed the bad, and our love continues to blossom as we manage our way through the thorns of life.

A joy shared is doubled, a burden shared is halved. Find someone to share your life with, make a commitment, it will create more love and happiness in your life.

© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment