Thursday, February 25, 2010

Honoring our Mother and Father

All faith traditions place an overwhelming priority in honoring our parents. Why is that? Maybe, as Jeffrey Moses mentions in his book, Oneness, it is because by doing so "we support the entire fabric of society, sustaining our own well-being as well as that of our children, and our children's children" (47).

Parents are essential to the sustenance of children. They are so essential that most faith traditions refer to the One God, our Creator, as Mother and Father because of their creative, nurturing and supportive natures. Without our parents, none of us would be here.

Even though, my children may grow up and feel I did a sub par job as their parent, I can honestly say, "I did the best I could with what I had." This is all any parent could do.

A friend once told me a story. He was raised with a raging alcoholic father, who was rarely home and when he was, it was not peaches and cream. When his father became ill, my friend chose to care for him with other family members. One night as he was giving his dad a suppository, thinking why am I here, he realized, "this man is a human being, he deserves dignity of life and he is still my dad." This realization caused a healing in his heart. He experienced a spiritual shift. His anger and resentment of past wrongs, melted and opened a door for compassion and honor. He received one of the greatest spiritual blessings.

To support Father and Mother,
To cherish Wife and Child,
To follow a peaceful calling,
This is the greatest Blessing.

Buddhism


© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment