Monday, February 15, 2010

Greater Love

John 15:13 states, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." I have grappled with this verse for years.

We use this verse to honor those whom have died in war, and those whom have sacrificed their life to save another. However, for me, I need it to make sense to the average person like me.

Through contemplation, I find that a greater love is when I lay down or put aside my agenda, my plan, my idea, (the list could be endless), to allow another their way, or to serve another in their time of need.

Basically, when I move from being self-absorbed to being other-centered. My heart actually sings when I set aside my wants and desires in order to serve another. Does this happen regularly, I wish I could say, "Yes." However, when it does, the result is happiness, true joy and true love.

© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

1 comment:

  1. Becky,
    I read this today in a book that I bought for you...:O)
    "To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Josephine Billings
    Today, will you stop to help someone in need, or will you turn away?

    Love you,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete