Monday, February 8, 2010

Listening is a sign of Love

Multi-tasking is a commonly used term in our society and being a mom, I can relate. I am constantly doing at least 4 things at once. While I am busy with the hustle and bustle of life, I often do not take the time to listen to my children and/or my husband. This causes a lot of undue stress and tension in our family.

However, when I stop and listen, my children and my husband feel important and loved. They sense that I really care about them and what is happening in their life. Sometimes, it takes a lot of effort to truly understand what they are saying because I jump to conclusions and formulate an answer before I even know the question.

My oldest child is my greatest teacher and we work diligently and sometimes quite emotionally to get our points across. It takes time and effort to openly communicate, which means we must be willing to listen and be willing to be changed.

How would our lives be different if we took the time to listen? To listen without an agenda, without a prejudgement, without a radio or TV blaring in the fore-ground. How many more people would feel respected, understood, and loved, if we would just listen.

I encourage you to stop and listen to those whom you love and those whom you have conflict. You may be surprised what you learn. I know you will feel fulfilled and they will feel honored and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment