Saturday, February 20, 2010

Happiness comes with simplicity

Buddha says, "Let us live most happily, possessing nothing; let us feed on joy, like the radiant gods" Dhammapada 15:4.

What I have found to be true is the more I possess, the more my possessions possess me. I become in bondage to my stuff.

This came home to me one day, when a dear friend, who did not have a job and needed to downsize, purchased a 3 bedroom home just for herself. I asked her what she was thinking and she said, "well, I have to have room for my stuff." She went into huge debt with barely enough money to pay her bills because she was unwilling to let go of her stuff.

Eventually, this friend prior to loosing everything, sold her stuff, moved into a very small apartment, and is happier than she has ever been. She was free. She had more time, money and joy in her everyday life.

This is a great message of hope during rough times in our lives. In loosing or leting go of our things, we gain so much more.

Make it a practice to clean out a drawer, a closet, or a cabinet daily and rid yourself of your "stuff" that is thwarting your happiness.

© 2010 by Becky Benes
www.onenessoflife.com

No comments:

Post a Comment