Friday, January 29, 2010

Begin seeking wisdom when young

Jeffery Moses, in his book, Oneness, reminds us that Buddha said, every young child naturally wants to help others and affect the world in a positive way. Buddha also said, young people ought first focus on their own inner growth. In doing this, they will have what is required emotionally, mentally and spiritually for true success in life.

It is important for the young to learn basic knowledge in humanities, reading, writing, science, and life skills. However, it is also important to include studies of world religions and to incorporate practices of prayer and mediation into their lives. In so doing, the children will be aware of the oneness of all people and have a basic foundation in spiritual growth.

"He who, even as a young student, applies himself tot he doctrine of truth, illuminates this world like the moon set free from the clouds" Buddhism, Dham, 382.

This is great information for me as I try to raise my two daughters. I love reading them passages from all faith traditions and introducing them to people from different cultures, religions and nationalities. I believe this is one of my greatest gifts to them.

1 comment:

  1. :) Did you know that you inspire me so much to be like you?

    I mean, I don't even know if I'm going to be a mother or not, but I can tell you that if I was, I'd be calling you every day for advice on how to teach multiple religions to children so that they got the benefit of learning about Love in all of its splendid glory :)

    ReplyDelete