Saturday, January 30, 2010

Creativity

Have you ever noticed when you are in the midst of creating something whether it be a painting, a meal, a garden, an outfit, the list could be endless, your mind goes blank. It is at this time, you are in the present moment, totally transfixed on the NOW. This is actually a meditative practice.

When you are present in the NOW moment, you are practicing the presence of God. This is a great way to relieve stress and to commune with God. I began this practice after reading, Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. I actually took a job as a dish washer, after a very high powered job as a marketing director. I needed to reconnect with God and myself and simplify my life.

For 6 months, I washed dishes. I focused on the bubbles, the water, the dish I was washing at the moment. I saw all of the iridescent colors in the bubbles; I watched them pop and some of them float into the air and vaporize. This was a beautiful practice of being in the moment. My mind was focused on what I was doing and not on my past or my future. I was at peace and actually joyful. This was one of the happiest times of my life. Since that time, I do not use my dishwasher. Hand washing dishes is a meditative practice for me. It reminds me to "be still and know that I am God."

I encourage you observe small children and watch how they are truly in the moment, wittness their joy and their peace. Then pick a mundane activity or start a hobby like painting and use it to focus your mind. Truly be there in the moment and you will find peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment