Friday, January 8, 2010

Go with the flow

Watching the Rose Bowl last night, I was reminded the importance of going with the flow, when Colt McCoy said during his interview, "I never question God's plan in my life." What a beautiful example of going with the flow and accepting life circumstances.

Throughout our lives we get sidetracked and end up on different paths than we had planned. It is our reaction to these differing paths which can create chaos and/or peace.

When I accept these detours in my life as perfect just as they are, my life remains peaceful. However, when I resist the detours and fight them struggling to stay on 'my' track, I experience pain and suffering. What we resist persists. Yet, by letting go and letting God, we create harmony and balance.

Going with the flow suggest that we become flexible and open to other outcomes. Taoism holds that flexibility can defeat strength. Water is used as a metaphor in Lao Zi to explain the prowess of flexibility. Nothing can be more flexible and soft than water but it can defeat all tough things. Similarly, Taoism emphasizes humbleness and tenderness and how softness overcomes hardness, that flexibility overcomes rigidness.

Most of the time, when I get into a pinch, I am usually going against the flow of life. I am fighting for my will and not looking for the good of all. I become blinded by my ego. However, when I quit struggling, roll over and float, open my hand, ears and my heart to another way, my life circumstance seems to work itself out.

When I take a time out, a walk in nature, and breathe deep, I receive some insight or guidance for my next indicated step. I open myself to the flow of life.

"By paths they have not known, I will guide them. . . . These are the things I will do, and I will not forsake them" are the promises we receive from Isaiah 42:16. Knowing that there is no place where God is not, allows me to take the many detours in life with a smile, trusting that I am in good company.

I encourage you to practice letting go and letting God, cease fighting anyone and anything and see what happens in your life. You may find that your resisted detour is filled with exciting, new and beautiful scenery.

2 comments:

  1. "Where there is the "I", there is bondage; where there is no "I", there is no bondage.
    Astavakra Gita, 8.4 (Stephen Cross) in "yogawisdom" by Cassandra Powers
    DM

    ReplyDelete