Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Change-A constant in my life

As I walk along this journey of life, I have found that the one for sure thing in life is change. We change, our circumstances change, our family and friends change, our bodies change, our thinking changes, our environment changes and on and on it goes.

Even though I know this is true, I still cause myself misery because I do not accept the change in my life or I resist it. It is amazing how I can pray for change and then when I receive it I cling to the old, because I fear the unknown that lies ahead.

Knowing that God is ever present in my life of change allows me to move forward stepping out in faith into the unknown. I love the scripture, "The human mind may devise many plans, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will be established" (Proverbs 19:21). This tells me that I can make all of the plans I want and God will allow me to do what I will, but the outcome is up to the will of God. I don't know about you but this relieves some of the pressure of trying something new.

One of my favorite prayers that I have used for years to get through change is the Serenity Prayer.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I pray this constantly if I am faced with a challenging situation. What I know is I can not change another person, and really the only thing I can change is my attitude about whatever is in my life right now. It is my job to keep my side of the street clean and allow you to live your life. This takes lots of courage.

Gandhi says this beautifully: We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

So go out and be that change. I want to be peace, love, harmony, acceptance and wisdom. What do you want to be?

1 comment:

  1. A good question to ask ourselves this January! What DO I want to be?

    ReplyDelete