Thursday, January 14, 2010

Laugh, Create Your Own Paradise

I love to laugh, don't you? I love a good knee slapping joke or a funny story that is so funny it makes my sides hurt. I find I have more energy and experience less stress when I laugh. Plato once remarked that "Even the gods love jokes."

In the Koran, it states that "He deserves Paradise who makes his companions laugh." When I am around people who laugh and/or make me laugh, I want to stay and be with them. This is a bit like paradise. Small children have contagious laughs, and can 'bust a gut' as we say in West Texas at the smallest of things; a burp, a fart, a slip of the tongue. They have a knack of laughing at themselves until we teach them those powerful words-"That's not FUNNY!"

I think we do ourselves and our children a disservice when we squelch their laughter. Maybe we ought to laugh with them and lighten up a bit. The health benefits are staggering.

When we laugh we:

  • Boosts immunity
  • Lower stress hormones
  • Decrease pain
  • Relax our muscles
  • Prevent heart disease

Laughter also has a multitude of mental health benefits:

  • Adds joy and zest to life
  • Eases anxiety and fear
  • Relieves stress
  • Improves mood
  • Enhances resilience

Along with physical and mental health benefits, laughter also has social benefits:

  • Strengthens relationships
  • Attracts others to us
  • Enhances teamwork
  • Helps defuse conflict
  • Promotes group bonding

With all of these benefits, I encourage you to make laughter a required part of your day.

Don't wait for the government to mandate this one. Create your own Paradise and just lighten up and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment